OGDENSBURG – The Most Reverend Bishop Terry R. LaValley presented the Edgar P. Wadhams Distinguished Service Award to 33 people during the Celebration of the Body of Christ, a special gathering held July 10 at St. Mary’s Cathedral of Ogdensburg.
As part of the 150th anniversary of the Diocese of Ogdensburg, the celebration of the Body of Christ began with a recital by Donald K. Fellows on the new cathedral organ.
The recital was followed by a Holy Hour, a time of prayer before the Eucharist, after which the awards were presented.
• Mr. Bruce P. Bombard—St. St. Peter’s Parish, Massena
• Mrs. Jane A. Boyea—St. Church of Mary, Brushton
• Mr. James T. Brady—St. Raphael’s Church, Heuvelton
• Mr. Michael B. Bresnahan, Jr.—CC of Alexandria, Alexandria Bay
• Mr. Glenn R. Burdo—CC of St. Alexander and St. Joseph, Morrisonville
• Mrs. Starr L. Burke—Holy Cross Parish, Plattsburgh
• Mr. David M. Cline—St. St. Patrick’s Church, Brasher Falls
• Ms. Valerie R. Cline—St. St. Patrick’s Church, Brasher Falls
• Sister Sharon A. Dalton, SSJ—St. St. Mary’s Church, Ticonderoga
• Mrs. Ruth C. Demarse—St. André Bessette Parish, Malone
• Mr. Joseph E. Denoncourt—St. St. Mary’s Cathedral, Ogdensburg
• Mrs. Patricia J. Fassett—St. St. Mary’s Cathedral, Ogdensburg
• Mr. Pasquale A. Fontana, Sr.—St. Anthony’s Church, Watertown
• Deacon Gary A. Frank—St. St. Mary’s Church, Clayton
• Mrs. Gayle G. Frank—St. St. Mary’s Church, Clayton
• Ms. Connie M. Hatch-Young—St. St. Patrick’s Church, Colton
• Mr. Jeremiah M. Hayes—St. Alphonsus – Holy Name of Jesus Parish, Tupper Lake
• Ms. Eileen K. Hayes—St. Alphonsus Parish—Holy Name of Jesus, Tupper Lake
• Mr. Gerald J. LaValley—St. Ann Church, Mooers Forks
• Ms. Darlene M. LaValley—St. Ann Church, Mooers Forks
• Dr. Victor W. Ludwig—Holy Cross Parish, Plattsburgh
• Mrs. Barbara C. Ludwig—Holy Cross Parish, Plattsburgh
• Mrs. Leslie A. Marvel—Holy Cross Parish, Plattsburgh
• Mr. Angelo E. Pietropaoli—St. André Bessette Parish, Malone
• Ms. Suzanne R. Pietropaoli—St. André Bessette Parish, Malone
• Mrs. Elsie L. Scruggs—St. St. Peter’s Parish, Massena
• Mrs. Mary Catherine Spilman—Our Lady of Grace Parish, Morristown
• Ms. Donna J. Steenberg—St. St. Patrick’s Church, Brasher Falls
• Mr. Daniel J. Sweeney—St. St. Mary’s Church, Guangzhou
• Sister Mary Christine Taylor, SSJ—Diocese of Ogdensburg)
• Mr. Michael J. Tooley—Diocese of Ogdensburg
• Miss Michelle E. Watkins—St. St. Stephen’s Church, Croghan
• Mrs. Linda F. Young—St. Agnes Church, Lake Placid
“It is only fitting to recognize those who have served the Body of Christ in so many ways over the years,” Bishop LaValley said.
“I am grateful for all the loyal followers of these wonderful people.”
The Bishop Wadhams Award was instituted by Bishop Paul Loverde, the eleventh Bishop of Ogdensburg, in 1996 to recognize outstanding service to the Diocese of Ogdensburg by people of the North Country.
The Bishop Wadhams Award given to each individual will read as follows:
“As we celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Diocese of Ogdensburg, it is my honor and pleasure to present the Bishop Edgar P. Wadhams Distinguished Service Award. In recognition of his outstanding service to the Diocese of Ogdensburg and to the Church, this award is presented as a sign of our gratitude and respect. In witness whereof, I have signed this award and affixed thereto the seal of the Diocese of Ogdensburg this July 10, 2022.”
Previous recipients of the award are Father Richard Siepka (former Rector of Wadhams Hall Seminary), Monsignor Lawrence M. Deno (former Superintendent of Catholic Schools), Mrs. Mary Lou Kilian (former Editor of North Country Catholic), Monsignor Robert Giroux (former Vicar General), Dr Gerald Irwin (former professor at Wadhams Hall and Peritus for the Diocesan Tribunal), Sister Kathryn Healy (Chaplain, St. Lawrence Psychiatric Center), Dr AB DeGrandpre (former Knight of the Holy Sepulchre, friend and benefactor of St. John’s Academy, Mount Assumption Institute, and Seton Catholic Central School), Clyde A. Lewis, Sr. (Knight of Malta, Bishop’s Heritage Circle training), Thomas and Claudia Sanders (directors and hosts of Pre- Cana in the student program at Seton Catholic High School), Henry and Huguette Domingos of Potsdam, New York (Ministry Training Program, founders of the Serra Club, ministry in their parish), Sister Donn a Franklin, DC (Catholic Charities director for 22 years), Sally Rusaw, Ogdensburg (penitentiary ministry, archivist, teaching), Irving Papineau (board member, catechist and treasurer of Saint Kateri Hall, Hogansburg), Elaine Cook ( administrative assistant, home pastoral associate at St. Regis Mission) and Noreen Barcomb (Parish of the Sacred Heart, Chazy, Catechist, Youth Ministry).