Morgan State Notes | Howard’s Notes (PDF) | GAMEDAY Guide | To buy tickets
Facebook.com/MorganStateBears | @MorganStBears
Opponent: Howard Bison
Ate: Saturday, February 19, 2022
Site: Wolstein Center, Cleveland, Ohio
Game time: 2 p.m. EST
TV: TNT, ESPN2 and NBA TV
Radio: Heritage Sports Radio Network (HSRN.com)
MSU Coaches: MSU- Kevin Broadus (74-60, 3rd year) • HU – Kenneth Blackeney (17-36, 2nd year)
Websites: www.MorganStateBears.com | www.hubison.com
Morgan State (8-12, 3-5) will enter Saturday’s contest against the Howard Bison for the first-ever NBA HBCU Classic presented by AT&T. The Bears enter the game after a 76-66 home win over South Carolina State on Feb. 14. Howard (13-10, 6-3) recorded a 77-71 victory at Maryland Eastern Shore and is riding a 5-game winning streak. Tipping is set at 2:00 p.m. at the Wolstein Center. and will air simultaneously on TNT, ESPN2 and NBA TV.
• Saturday’s contest will mark the 112th meeting between the schools… The Bears lead the series 65-46.
• The last time the two teams met on the court was January 22, 2022. The Morgan State men’s basketball team cut a 10-point second-half deficit to just one point in the last minute, but couldn’t complete the comeback as Howard. came out with a 91-82 win inside Hill Field House. junior guard De’Torrion Ware led the Bears with 23 points (10-10 FT) and 11 rebounds in the loss. Keith McGee scored 12 of his 18 points (6-13 3FG) in the second half, while Lake Grantsaan finished with 14 points and a record 12 rebounds. Ty Horner chipped in 10 points. Randall Brumant led the Bison with a season-high 22 points on 10-of-12 shooting.
• Morgan’s last win against the Bears was on February 1, 2020 — Malik Miller had a career-high 19 points (8-13 FG) and eight rebounds, Troy Baxter scored 18 points and Morgan State opened up a close game with a run early in the second half to beat Howard 89-83 at Burr Gymnasium. Stanley Davis added 14 points and four rebounds, while Sherwyn Devonish-Prince had 13 points and six assists for the Bears.
IN SEARCH OF THE BISON (13-10, 6-3)
• The head coach Kenneth Blakeney is entering his second season at the helm of the Howard men’s basketball program in 2019-20. He coached at seven Division I universities over a 12-year period. Blakeney was a McDonalds All-American and Gatorade Player of the Year at famed DeMatha Catholic HS, and played at Duke under head coach Mike Krzyzewski.
• Howard University Athletics made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020-21 season out of an abundance of caution due to health and safety concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Le Bison finished the 2019-20 season 4-19 overall and 1-15 in MEAC play… Le Bison fell to second seed NC A&T (86-77) in the 2019 MEAC Semifinals.
• The Bison, who were chosen to finish fifth in the MEAC pre-season poll, are currently 6-8 overall and 0-1 MEAC after a hard-fought 71-68 loss to Notre Dame on Monday (January 17). ).
• Howard is led by a grad student 6-5 guard Kyle Foster (Hampton, Virginia) and 6-10 as a redshirt sophomore Steve Settle III. Foster is averaging 16.2 points (ranks No. 2 in the MEAC), 3.9 rebounds and shooting 49.4 percent from the field and 50 percent (88-176) from three. Settle, a Glenarden, Md. (DeMatha Catholic HS) product, is averaging 14.5 points (#5 MEAC), 4.5 rebounds and shooting 51.5 percent from the field and shooting 41.9 % of territory at 3 points.
• Elie Hawkinsa 5-11 freshman forward from Washington, D.C. (DeMatha Catholic HS), is averaging 12.2 points, 3.8 boards and ranks No. 10 in the nation with an average of 6.2 assists per game and #3 in the MEAC in assist-to-spin ratio (1.5).
• Columbia transfer 6-3 guard Tai Bibbs also contributes for the Bison. The Chicago, Illinois native is averaging 9.2 points, 3.3 rebounds and shooting 41.2 percent from the field.
• Howard leads the MEAC in points (78.2), 3-point field goal percentage (.374) and free throw percentage (74.0).
A VICTORY WOULD BE…
• Be MSU’s second straight win
• Be MSU’s first win over Howard since 2/1/20
• Improve MSU’s neutral field record to 2-1 this season
• To be MSU’s third victory in its last five games
• Improve MSU series record against Howard to 66-46
Morgan State will host Norfolk State on Monday, February 21 at 7:30 p.m. inside Hill Field House.
DOUBLE-DIGIT AVERAGE THREE PLAYERS
The Bears enter Saturday’s game against Howard with three players with double-digit averages.
• Senior guard Malik Miller is the team’s leading scorer averaging 12.0 points, 8.6 rebounds and shooting 54.2 percent from the field.
• Youth De’Torrion Ware is the team’s second-leading scorer averaging 10.8 points, 5.3 rebounds and shooting 31.5 percent from the field … he had a game-high 27 points against St. Mary’s College of Maryland ( November 9).
• Junior guard Keith McGee is averaging 10.4 points, to go with 1.1 steals and 1.6 rebounds.
• The Bears are currently averaging 76.0 points (No. 2 in MEAC) through 20 games.
• Morgan exploded for 118 points in their 2021-22 season opener against St. Mary’s College of Maryland and followed that up with a 126-71 win over Penn State Allegheny. The Bears beat Goucher 100-41.
• The Bears are shooting 43.1% from the field (ranked No. 4) and 31.0% from outside the arc (ranked No. 6).
Through games played on Wednesday, February 15, Morgan ranked No. 16 in the nation in turnover margin (ratio of 4.2, with 316 rotations and 400 opponent rotations).
Sherwyn Devonish (6.7 ppg, 3.4 rpg) ranks No. 1 in the MEAC in assist turnover rate (1.9) and No. 5 in the MEAC in assists per game (3.2).
Morgan started the 2021-22 campaign by allowing opponents to score 74.5 points per game (ranked No. 7 in the MEAC) and 44.4% shooting from the field (No. 8).
• MSU opponents have averaged a 36.8% clip shot from outside the arc…that ranks 8th in the conference.
• 20.0 turnovers per game Morgan’s defense force ranks 2nd in the nation… MSU’s 8.7 steals per game ranks 27th in the nation.
Morgan has made at least one 3-pointer played in his last 17 games… That 3-point streak started after the Bears went 0-for-11 against North Carolina Central on Feb. 20, 2016 (Hill Field House).
• Morgan has made at least three 3-point shots in 125 of 135 games since the start of the 2017-18 season.
• The Bears set a school single-game record of 15 three-pointers (on 32 attempts) at South Carolina State on January 10, 2022…Morgan won that game on the road, 88-81 in overtime .
HOW TO WATCH THE MATCHES: All men’s and women’s basketball home games will be streamed for free on video on the MorganStateBears.com website. The latest information on broadcasts and video streams will always be listed on the men’s and women’s basketball schedule pages on MorganStateBears.com.
MEN’S AND WOMEN’S BASKETBALL RADIO: All home games and select away games of MSU men’s and women’s basketball will once again be available through Heritage Sports Radio Network (HSRN.com). Germany will handle play-by-play responsibilities and also host pre-game and post-game broadcasts. Including exclusive interviews with team members and women’s coach Ed Davis and male coach Kevin Broadus. Fans can download the HSRN app for free and listen to MSU broadcasts from anywhere. Just search for HSRN when using the iHeartRadio app.
FOLLOW MORGAN STATE ATHLETICS IN CYBERSPACE
There are many ways to track MSU athletics in line and on the go:
• Visit www.morganstatebears.com, the official Bears Athletics website, for news, schedules, stats, biographies and more.
• Follow us on social networks:
Morgan State University, founded in 1867, is a Carnegie-ranked advanced research (R2) institution offering nearly 140 academic programs leading to degrees ranging from bachelor’s to doctoral degrees. As Maryland’s preeminent public urban research university and the only university to have its entire campus designated a National Treasure by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Morgan serves a multiethnic and multiracial student body and seeks to ensure that the doors of higher education are opened as wide as possible to as many people as possible. For more information about Morgan State University, visit www.morgan.edu.