Since the Texas gubernatorial election last week, I thought I’d revisit, update, and rephrase some of my previous “The New MAGA” material. Until Trump came to power in 2016, I was a moderate Republican all my life, mostly on the issue of abortion. Our family was also part of predominantly ultra-conservative faith communities until COVID hit. I never dreamed that I would see the growth of fascism in my own state, within the American Catholic Church, and within our last religious community. Maybe fascism was one of those entities, but I hadn’t realized that before. I certainly didn’t think I would change my party affiliation to Democrat. Thank the Lord that my family attends a predominantly Hispanic cathedral here in San Antonio, TX, where the clergy is fully aware of growing fascism, both outside and inside the wider Catholic Church.
Here is the material from my previous article “The New MAGA” with an update under Video One and Video Two.
Yes, those Texas moms in this video are telling the truth. Please watch the first video, then read my comments below.
The Texas moms in this video addressed these issues that Governor Greg Abbott and Texas politicians failed or did to Texans.
I added some extensions of my own knowledge.
Texas politicians (I say mostly Republicans)…….
1. Not fully keeping our Texas ERCOT Powergrid alive and well maintained, resulting in danger and even many deaths
2. Cut key racial history curricula from Texas classrooms and ban a variety of books, including books by black and LBGTQ authors
3. Make it legal to buy a firearm without a license and carry it openly
4. Place a $10,000 bounty on anyone who helps a woman get an abortion, essentially criminalizing abortion
5. Legislate against kind and loving parents of transgender children and their transgender children while fighting against mainstream science and their children’s doctors
6. Fighting mask and vaccine mandates during the worst pandemic in over 100 years, resulting in nearly 90,000 deaths, or nearly 10% of the total number of COVID deaths in the United States
After discussing the key issues from the first video, we then laughed at the overreach Greg Abbott is now taking in women’s healthcare, although it’s no laughing matter.
I believe that the current legislative actions of some Republican politicians in Texas now align with fascism. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica
and The Washington Monthly, I have summarized these main features of fascism.
1. source and capitalize on economic woes and anxieties
2. Lays political blame on scapegoating groups like minority groups, Democrats,
immigrants and other groups while placing the blame where it belongs, on the leadership
3. propagates extreme nationalism that goes hand in hand with racism and militarism
4. a merger of church and state when there should be a separation
5. female subjugation and sexism
6. a disregard for human rights except those of the elite
7. obsession with crime and punishment
8. identification of enemies as the unifying cause of political action
9. disdain for intellectualism, science, history and the arts
10. control of different types of media, including books
11. Rampant Cronyism and Government Corruption
12. Attempting to control elections, such as through voter suppression
While I review the traits of fascism listed above under the heading “Video Two”, I don’t think any of the fascist traits have improved in Texas. I think #5, #6, #7, #9 and #12 are worse. If you are not already praying for Texas, please pray for our state.