Mobilising America for Refugees Fund to provide over $ 1 million to help community organizations engage over 10,000 volunteers across America to assist with resettlement efforts
Posted: October 25, 2021 at 5:00 a.m. CDT|Update: 2 hours ago
SEATTLE, 25 October 2021 / PRNewswire / – The Schultz Family Foundation, the Stand Together Foundation and the Starbucks Foundation today announced the Mobilize America for Refugees Fund support community organizations through United States who help Afghan refugees and parolees successfully resettle by donating goods, services and volunteer time. As part of this effort, the Schultz Family Foundation, the Stand Together Foundation, and the Starbucks Foundation have committed more than $ 1 million award general operating grants up to $ 45,000 to eligible nonprofits in up to 40 communities across the country to increase their capacity to serve individuals and families who have fled Afghanistan.
To support this effort, Welcome.US will raise awareness, foster collaboration and coordinate resettlement groups and civic organizations, including the more than 100 organizations that make up its broad coalition of partners. Hello Neighbor, a non-profit organization committed to supporting refugees and immigrants, will lead a collaborative learning community as part of the Hello Neighbor network to share best practices among beneficiaries.
Tens of thousands of Afghans have been forced to flee their homelands, many due to threats to their lives and livelihoods due to their association with United States. The Americans want to welcome our new Afghan neighbors in United States volunteering their time, donating clothing and furniture, and much more, and most local government-funded resettlement agencies are under tremendous pressure to coordinate volunteer aid and non-cash donations.
To connect volunteers with resettlement efforts, the Mobilize America for Refugees Fund invest in community organizations that are committed to creating opportunities for Americans across the country to engage directly in welcoming and helping newcomer Afghans integrate into their new communities in partnership with agencies local resettlement. We expect these organizations to provide volunteer-led services, such as English lessons, driving lessons and professional boating; coordinate the donation of clothing and household items; and organize activities and events to welcome Afghans to their new communities.
The funders of the Mobilize America for Refugees Fund provide general operating grants to community organizations that:
- Operate in a community likely to host Afghan refugees.
- Commit to involving a broad cross-section of their community to support refugees, including volunteers from families, schools, universities, veterans organizations and religious organizations.
- Are in partnership with one or more refugee resettlement organizations in their community.
- Commit to dedicate 3-5 hours per month to learn and participate in a learning collaboration of like-minded organizations throughout the duration of the grant led by Hello Neighbor.
Interested organizations can find out more by reading the Frequently Asked Questions and can request assistance here. Applications are due Wednesday, November 15, 2021.
Support from the Schultz Family Foundation is part of the Foundation’s program $ 1.1 million comprehensive commitment to support the resettlement of Afghans in the United States
- “The courageous Afghans fleeing their homelands, many of whom have served honorably alongside our veterans, deserve to be greeted with respect and dignity. Helping our Afghan allies successfully integrate into our communities across the country reaffirms our shared humanity and common bonds. – Sheri and Howard Schultz, co-founders, Schultz Family Foundation
- “America has always been a welcoming country – a place where people come to improve the lives of their families and, in so doing, help improve the lives of all of us. The Stand Together Foundation is grateful for the opportunity to support local organizations that welcome our new Afghan neighbors and help communities across the country do their part to carry on this great American tradition, alongside the Family Foundation. Schultz, the Starbucks Foundation, Welcome.US and Hello Neighbor. “- Brian Hooks, President, Stand Together Foundation.
- “At Starbucks, we have a long history of partnering with others to provide opportunity and generate real impact. We are proud to join the Schultz Family Foundation, Stand Together and Welcome.US in their continued efforts to welcome Afghan families. in the US We continue to pursue our goal of hiring 10,000 refugees around the world. But we also know that support goes beyond employment, which is why the Starbucks Foundation is committed $ 350,000 in grants to non-profit organizations supporting the Afghan Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) and refugee resettlement. “- Virginie tenpenny, Head of Social Impact, Starbucks.
- “At a time when thousands of Americans and civic organizations are rallying to support our new Afghan neighbors, we are proud to join the Schultz Family Foundation, the Stand Together Foundation, the Starbucks Foundation and Hello Neighbor in supporting local organizations connecting volunteers with new Afghans. It’s the daily welcoming gestures of volunteers that will show our new neighbors how proud we are that they are rebuilding their lives here – and ensure that our new neighbors have what they need to rebuild their lives and help their new communities. – Nazanin ash, CEO, Welcome.US.
- “Hello Neighbor is honored and honored to lead the learning components of this grant opportunity and fundraising circle. We know that the greatest impacts can occur here. As communities all over the world United States seek to support their new neighbors, we will be there by their side. Together we can and will make a big impact in the lives of our new Afghan neighbors. “- Sloane davidson, Founder and CEO, Hello Neighbor
- “The Mobilizing America for Refugees fund is a welcome initiative to support local community organizations in the resettlement of Afghan families. This fund will strengthen the network of community organizations across the country and, most importantly, provide innovative and community-based support for the resettlement of Afghans. through new opportunities like the fund, we will build sustainable reception networks for our new afghan neighbors. “- Guillaume Canny, Executive Director, Migration and Refugee Services, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
About the Schultz Family Foundation
The Schultz Family Foundation, created in 1996 by Sheri and Howard Schultz, former CEO and Chairman Emeritus of Starbucks, creates pathways of opportunity for populations facing barriers to success, focusing on young people in transition to adulthood and marginalized populations, including black communities, indigenous and colored. By investing in scalable solutions and partnerships in communities across the country, the Foundation aims to help overcome the barriers and obstacles that prevent individuals from reaching their full potential and, in so doing, strengthen our communities and our nation. Learn more at www.schultzfamilyfoundation.org.
About Stand Together
Stand Together Foundation is committed to breaking the cycle of poverty in America by stimulating change within communities. We are building a community of social entrepreneurs who believe in people, work from the bottom up and come together to do well. Since 2016, we are committed $ 100 million and be counted on to fuel the innovation of nonprofits across the country to build stronger and safer communities where all can learn, contribute and reach their full potential. Our goal is to help leaders of nonprofits maximize their impact to lift more lives out of poverty. Learn more about www.StandTogetherFoundation.org.
About the Starbucks Foundation
The Starbucks Foundation strengthens humanity by transforming lives around the world, emphasizing community resilience and prosperity, and uplifting communities affected by disasters. Established in 1997, the Starbucks Foundation is a section 501 (c) (3) charity of US law. Learn more at sbux.co/foundation.
Welcome.US is a new national effort launched in September 2021 welcome Afghan families as they settle and build a new life in United States. Welcome.US provides a single point of entry to channel the influx of support from Americans who wish to get involved by donating supplies, money or time to frontline organizations; provide temporary accommodation; or sponsor refugees. President Barack obama and Michelle obama, President Georges. W. Bush and Laura Bush, and president William J. Clinton and secretary Hillary Clinton serve as honorary co-chairs.
In addition to strengthening US support for our arriving Afghan families, Welcome.US has created the Welcome Fund to support the development and expansion of sustainable host communities across the country to meet the needs of our new neighbors.
Welcome.US is led by the CEO Nazanin ash, former vice president of global policy and advocacy at the International Rescue Committee, and co-chaired by Cecilia Muñoz, senior advisor to New America and former director of the White House Home Policy Council under President Obama, and John bridgeland, CEO of COVID Collaborative and former director of the White House Home Policy Council under President Bush.
Welcome.US is a project sponsored by Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, a 501 (c) 3 organization.
To learn more about Welcome.US, please visit welcome us.
For press inquiries, please contact [email protected].
View original content to download multimedia:
SOURCE Schultz Family Foundation
The above press release has been provided courtesy of PRNewswire. The views, opinions and statements contained in the press release are not endorsed by Gray Media Group and do not necessarily state or reflect those of Gray Media Group, Inc.